Why a “Year In Review”? Three reasons: to show potential recruits and the curious exactly what we do; to celebrate the hard work and accomplishments of our teammates; to inspire anyone who’s wanting to help their communities with very little or no money, and with or without a team.
- Started a fundraiser to help a local musician pay for an MRI and medical bills, goal raised.
- Weekend outreach/needle patrol; started our needle pickup numbers at zero, gave out food and toiletries.
- Worked with local PD for anti-car theft patrols and pamphlet handout.
- Offered to help RazorHawk with HOPE 2013 – started the Help and HOPE planning page.
- Began our Nation of Heroes documentary campaign.
January TRIBE radio shows:
Creativity and Progression with Alex Peake (creator of Code Hero)
Rock’s Basic Self-defense Tips Pt. 2- Stopping the Fight with Keith Sheppard
De-escalation, The Right Thing To Do with Mike and Melisa
X-Altruism with Andrea Kuszewski
Nation of Heroes
- Valentines Day Brownies and Treats handout.
Passed out 100 “Safer Commuter Travel” booklets on local commuter trains.
- Initiative Collective was featured on Kush Kulture.
- Handout of gloves, scarves, blankets and coats, 100 sandwiches, 100 water bottles, and 100 pairs of socks. The socks were from Olde School’s yearly sock drive.
- Olde School is featured on Andrew Crossfire’s Superhero Academy.
- Zimmer Barnes helps us to promote Taking Initiative: NATION OF HEROES.
- Newest member joins CAI. Welcome, Xavian.
February TRIBE radio shows:
NATION OF HEROES: A call-in show
Rock’s Basic Self-defense Tips Pt.3 – Home Security
Bullying: What Is and What Isn’t
- Newest members, Draconian and Sage Tiger join in our “Flash Mob” soup/sock handout. Fed 100 people hot, homemade soup. Gave out socks.
- Volunteered with Olde School to serve meals in Hotel Mentone, SF.
- Sage and Draco’s son puts together 100 first-aid kits for the homeless.
March TRIBE radio shows:
Tiger Todd of Hero School
Cultural Insensitivity: What It IS and What It Isn’t with Ira of the VAI
Loud & Clear: Our Communication Episode with Treesong of the Illinois Initiative
- East Bay beach cleanup.
- Met Villains in Disneyland.
- Gave out 200 sandwiches/water/mini first aid kits to SF’s homeless.
- 104 needles- record!
- Seed-bombed around the East Bay on Earth Day.
- Started teaching first LGBTQ-based free self-defense class in California!!
April TRIBE radio shows:
Outreach on a Budget
Homeless Outreach 2013: Project HOPE and S.I.G.N.s of HOPE
- New record: 106 needles!
- CAI: SF held a fundraiser concert for our documentary.
May TRIBE radio shows:
This is NOT a Test! Emergency Preparedness
- New needle pickup in Concord, CA
- New record: 107 needles!
- Taught 2 free self-defense classes in downtown SF with Olde School.
- Needle pickup with White Scorpion.
- Provided pre-Pride celebration security in SF.
- Rode in S.F.’s Pride parade and patrolled after. Helped several injured/dehydrated people along the route.
June TRIBE radio shows:
Community Activism: Cheap, Legal and Effective
Superfoods: A 3-Part Series on Nutrition with Vector of the CAI: SF
Superfoods, Part 2: Healthy Food ≠ Expensive Food with Sakura of the CAI: LA
- Rock’s Nation Of Heroes video-blog begins.
- Olde School moved to Tennessee and started the Tennessee Memphis Initiative branch. He rode his scooter over 2,000 miles from California to Tennessee.
- Attended Project HOPE in San Diego.
- Began Nation of Heroes cross-country road trip! 25 states, 25 days!
- Met up with Olde School in Memphis, TN.
- Joined water/first-aid handout in New Orleans.
July TRIBE radio shows:
Fire and Water: The Peaceful Warrior with Jeremy Spyder Gallant
Happy Trails! Countdown to HOPE and Nation of Heroes
LIVE! From Pirate’s Landing, Utah!
- Met Crimson Fist and Meta Data.
- Helped with food/water handout in Virginia w/ VAI.
- Flyer handout in New York w/ NYI.
CAI celebrated its 2nd anniversary.
Performed in a SF AIDS foundation fundraising concert.
The CAI partners up with the Legacy Initiative, Utah.
Joined the CAI: LA for a 200-Burrito handout in skid row.
Co-created a charity calendar to benefit the Pink Light Project.
August TRIBE radio shows:
Cheers! Celebrating the End of Our Tinoh Road Trip
Kick Ass 2?
- Started National Preparedness Month campaigning.
- Held Emergency preparedness/bug-out bag workshop for neighborhood.
- Read about ourselves in Tea Krulos’ book: Heroes in the Night
- Featured on the front page of the Local section in SF’s biggest newspaper, the Chronicle. Here’s a link to the online version.
- Got a shout out on the page of the bay area’s favorite long-running news anchorman, Frank Somerville.
- Met up w/ NYI member, Spectre.
- Joined the Legacy Initiative’s Grey and Red Teams
September TRIBE radio shows:
Superfoods Finale with Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness
NightBug’s Birthday Nerd Fest
- Helped Miss Fits 4 Life once again become the top fundraiser at the Warrior Dash Mud Run.
- Met up with the Legacy Initiative’s Tedd Mills
- Began volunteer security position at local elementary school.
- Met up with motivational speaker for nation’s youth – Roy Juarez, Jr.
- CAI: SF does interview w/ local news station.
- Traveled to San Diego for an XJL member’s wedding.
- Warrior Dash Mud Run/Halloween Party!
- Group Needle Patrol.
October TRIBE radio shows:
Ovaries and Activism with Miss Fit
Fall S.I.G.N.s of HOPE
Halloween Fright Fest
- Joined the city of San Francisco to support BATKID.
Working with our partners, the Legacy Initiative, we formed an outreach-specific team and added 3 new members: Hawt Flash, the Marine, and MHN. We held our Fall SIGNs of Hope street boutique (240 burritos, water, granola, toiletries, and clothing and shoes on hanging racks).
November TRIBE radio shows:
SIGNs of Heroes with Travis, Tedd and Dark Guardian
1 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with the Xtreme Justice League
- TRIBE radio celebrates its 1-year anniversary!
- Held Winter SIGNs of Hope street boutique (240 burritos, water, granola, toiletries, and clothing and shoes on hanging racks).
December TRIBE radio shows:
2 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with Superhero
3 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with Crimson Fist
4 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with the NYI’s Dark Guardian
5 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with the Washington Initiative
6 of 7-part series: Neighborhood Heroes – Tips, Training and Tales with Thanatos Necrium
The CAI finishes the year with over 2,500 needles picked up off the streets of San Francisco (bringing our 2-year total to over 4,100), and 37,039 TRIBE radio listens.
Some of our goals for 2014 include celebrating TRIBE radio’s successful first year, sending all our late backer gifts (we appreciate all our supporters who read our updates on the fundraising sites. We thank you for your continued patience!) by the end of January, finishing and distributing our documentary, and continuing to grow and achieve even more goal- oriented tasks to help our communities. The CAI is proud to have one of the largest, longest-running teams (with all but two of its original members still active <the other two are on reserve status>). If you’d like help in starting your own altruistic work/group/event, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy New Year!! May it be prosperous, productive and peaceful. Get Busy!